Hello !

> In that page there is one line of "code" that has all of the
> links...here is part of it:
> 3 Proxy || <a
> href="http://www.3proxy.net">3 Proxy</a> || <a
> href="http://www.3proxy.org">3 Proxy</a>
>
> I have taken just that line and saved that as a text file.
>
> I need to strip everything where I wind up with this:
> 3proxy\.com
> 3proxy\.net
> 3proxy\.org
> 4proxy\.com

  OK, what you need is to extract the part  3proxy.com from the String
3 Proxy

  For that, a RE like the following should do

  /http:\/\/www\.([^"]+)/

  You can read it this way: "find substrings that start with http://www.
(don't forget to escape /in the RE, else ruby will think that it is
ending; you also need to escape the dot, although in this case it
shouldn't matter much)
  and are followed by some text that doesn't contain ". The parenthesis
around say you're interested in it; you'll be able to use what it did
match with the $1 variable. Note that this part will match as much as
possible, so you'll actually get everything you want.

  Then a possible way to do what you want would be

  proxies = [] # array where the proxies will be
  f = File.open('your_file_with_the_list_youre_reading')
  f.readlines.each do |l| # iterate on each line
    l.scan(/http:\/\/www\.([^"]+)/) do # scan the line for the pattern
       proxies << $1 # add the content of $1 to your list
  p proxies

  This should work...

  Have a good time with Ruby !

	Vince