On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Chad Perrin wrote:

>> that's an absurd thing to say don't you think?  it's not bad or good - it
>> is what it is.  it is in fact a very pure closure which perfectly captures
>> the state in which it was defined in.  note that i said it captures the
>> 'state' and not the 'state of the state' - in otherwords it has a pointer
>> to the state and not a copy of the state.  that way it even has access to
>> newly added information as my example shows.  this is amazingly powerful
>> even if it doesn't fit your idea of what a closure may or may not be.
>
> No, I don't think it's "an absurd thing to say" -- it just doesn't have much
> depth.  The depth is this:
>
> If it doesn't provide what OOPish programmers would call "protection", it's
> not a closure.  How can it be a closure if it's not closed?

because 'enclose' does not imply 'closed forever':

   en·close   Audio pronunciation of "enclose" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (n-klz) also in·close (n-)
   tr.v. en·closed, en·clos·ing, en·clos·es

      1. To surround on all sides; close in.

      2. To fence in so as to prevent common use: enclosed the pasture.

      3. To contain, especially so as to envelop or shelter: Every one of
      those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret (Charles Dickens).

      4. To insert into the same envelope or package: enclose a check with the
      order.

   ref: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/enclose

take the first def

      1. To surround on all sides; close in.

nowhere does it say that what has been 'closed in' cannot be opened again.  a
box encloses it's contents - yet you may open it up to put more things in it.
it remains a perfect 'enclosure' of it's contents.

the second doesn't really apply...

the third

      3. To contain, especially so as to envelop or shelter: Every one of
      those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret (Charles Dickens).

houses 'enclose' - people and things can move freely in and out of them

same goes for number 4

i think the critical thing you are muddying the waters with is the fact that
no definition of enclosure implies and sort of static or frozen jail like
container.  consider the phrase

   'we escaped from the storm into the enclosure of our tent'

enclosures surround - they do not mummify.

-a
--
we can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with
ourselves.