from Phillip Hilton on 2001-08-30 at 03:02:21:
> Hello,
>
> I am a newbie to the Ruby programming language. I have have found it
> to be very absolutly brilliant for everything I wish to do with two
> big exceptions.
>
> 1: I can't seem to run my Ruby CGI scripts through my apache web
> server (under windows). My Perl scripts run fine.
>
> I am having great trouble with this CGI in Ruby business. I have the
> pragmatic programmers book on Ruby and well phenomenal for other
> aspects of ruby programming (it has been a good friend to me during
> the past few weeks).

It has been my experience that Apache rarely throws a 500 Server Internal
Error without logging something to the error log. Check there. Also, make
sure that Apache knows to handle ruby scripts as CGIs.

Look for something like:

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

and add .rb to the end of the line:

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl .rb

Also make sure the location you are trying to execute the scripts from has
ExecCGI enabled.

<Location /somewhere>
	Options +ExecCGI
</Location>

How does apache know to handle Perl scripts using the perl interpreter? Does
it check for a #! line? Or does the Apache config tell it what to do?