I, too, have been looking into Curses. And I agree with what you say
about the difficulty in finding reliable tutorials and documentation.

On Jul 31, 2006, at 11:51 PM, Eric Armstrong wrote:

>   b) Examining the Curses API at
>      http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/, I found what
>      can only be described as an embarrassing lack of
>      commentary. Not even one word! And since it's
>      a wrapper, the implementation code is of no help.
>      (And curses isn't even mentioned here:
>      http://www.rubymanual.org/list/classes)

I have issues with this web documentation. I'm using ruby 1.8.2 on OS
X and what I see returned from

    Curses.methods(false).sort
    Curses::Window.instance_methods(false).sort

is not the same as the methods described on the ruby-doc site. I
don't know if the web documentation describes a newer or an older
version than the one I'm using, but it certainly describes a
different version.

> On my solaris box there is also man page for curses, but it lists
> dozens of APIs that aren't in the ruby library--and to find out
> what they do, you have to look them up individually.

You can always use multiple terminal windows or emacs to view
multiple man pages simultaneously.
Emacs lets you save or print formatted man pages for future
reference. On OS X, XCode converts man pages to good-looking HTML.

Regards, Morton