On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Avdi B.Grimm wrote:

> I know it's bad manners to ask for some non-trivial feature without offering
> to code it, but I'm going to anyway.  I just need to get this off my chest:
>
> Bring CPAN to Ruby!!!

Hrm.  I think my preference would be to code them as needed in Ruby.  I'd
hate to have to keep changing my thinking between Perl and Ruby if I needed
to make modifications, or track down subtle behavior issues.

I think I have seen some Ruby modules that wrap Perl modules.  That seems like
a nice intermediate step if the intent is to one day go further and do the
rewrite (and someone will do it, and they'll add a newsreader too... :) )

I believe GD::Graph is doing this right now.

I'd love to see a rich archive of packages that duplicates the functionality
of CPAN, also.  On the other hand, do we need ALL of it?  And do we need to
track the recent Perl interpreter overhaul to stay current?  Maybe for now
there just needs to be a CPAN wishlist, and people can pick a task from it,
and oft-requested modules could rise to the top, so we know what people
really are wanting.  (Yeah, I know, the real beauty of CPAN are the things
you never knew you needed until 8 seconds ago.  We can work on real beauty
later :) )

Porting is a great way to learn a language.  And if you give me an apple I'll
let you whitewash the fence :).

--Gabriel Emerson