Sche Daniel wrote:
> [...]
>
>> I just tried "irb" on CygWin and it spake thusly:
>>
>> $ irb
>> /usr/bin/ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)
>>
>> I think CygWin is broken! Is this what it's doing on your system??
>
> yes, this is what it says
> I don't think cygwin is broken, most probably just misconfiguration
> of ruby package(?)
>
> Regards, Daniel

The fix was posted. What was happening on my system was that I installed
the One-Click Installer. It sets a Windows-level environment variable
RUBYOPT. The CygWin command line inherits this setting from Windows. And
that setting confuses irb.

So you have to unset RUBYOPT in the CygWin command line, and then
install or reinstall rubygems. Then irb works.