On 7/30/06, David Askew <dhaskew / earthlink.net> wrote:

> I used darwin ports to install ruby, rubygems, and apparently a few
> dependencies.
>

> Whenever I run the following to continue in my quest for a working
> ruby/rails/mysql playground ... i get the following .... what may I
> have missed?
>
> razor:~ dhaskew$ sudo gem install rails
> Attempting local installation of 'rails'
> Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
> /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:204:in
> `report_activate_error': Could not find RubyGem sources (> 0.0.0)
> (Gem::LoadError)

Hi.  It looks to me like something went wrong with the darwin ports
RubyGems install.  You might want to remove and reinstall that.  If
you type "gem list", you should see  a gem called "sources", which
tells RubyGems where to download gems from.  It's a part of the
RubyGems system, so it's not optional and should always be installed
along with the RubyGems framework.

--
Chad Fowler
http://chadfowler.com