    Pit> Hi Jim,
    Pit> the Y combinator was fun, indeed.

    Pit> Here is a two-argument version, as proposed by pixel in
    Pit> http://lambda.weblogs.com/discuss/msgReader$838#842

    Pit> p proc { |f,x| f[f,x] } [ proc { |f,n| n>1 ? n * f[f,n-1] : 1 }, 5 ]

    Pit> Your's is more readable, though :)

I don't know if I would call either of them *readable*. :-)

My one-argument version does come from Friedman's "The Little
Schemer".  SICP also gives a (slightly different) one-argument
version.

For more fun, check out the Java and Perl versions ...

    http://www.clug.org//ml/archive/programming/1998-11/msg00014.html
    http://www.clug.org//ml/archive/programming/1998-11/msg00003.html