hi,

[...]

>>> make[1]: Leaving directory
>>> `/pool/software/ruby/ruby-1.8.4/ext/enumerator'
>>> compiling etc
>>> /pool/software/ruby/ruby-1.8.4/lib/mkmf.rb:174:in `initialize':
>>> Permission denie
>>> d - mkmftmp1.log (Errno::EACCES)
>
> Oops ... didn't see that. It looks like you don't have enough privileges
> to "install" software. You probably need to be what Windows calls a
> "Power User" or an "Administrator" to run this. Check with your IT folks
> if you aren't the Administrator of your system. Meanwhile, you can use
> the binary Ruby that comes with CygWin.

actually I am logged in as administrator on XP
but you are right if I recall properly "whoami" under
cygwin said I am not the "root"

[...]

>> Do you just need Ruby on CygWin, or do you need to build it from
>> source? My copy of CygWin (I install the whole thing) has Ruby 1.8.4
>> as part of the distribution. I don't know why building Ruby from
>> source would break, though.

yes, ruby is a part of the distribution
there seems to be a problem with irb (it doesn't start)
that's why I am trying to install it from sources
most of the time I am working on my Linux box and I simply like to
build software I use from sources :)

I will try to "su root" next time I boot into XP

Regrads, Daniel