Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 12:22:05PM +0900, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>
>>>  Well ... I'm certainly moving towards Ruby. I just need to unlearn Perl.
>>>
> Wait -- what?  Why?  Learning Ruby is making me a better Perlist, and
> knowing Perl is helping in my learning of Ruby.  Both languages have
> their advantages and disadvantages, and both have their place in my
> toolkit.
>
> I've never subscribed to the "one language" philosophy of programming,
> and I don't get it when people talk as though they do.  Was that a joke?
Well ... let's just say I think Ruby is a vast improvement on Perl. I learned Perl when Perl 4 was the reigning standard. I don't particularly like the way Perl 5 does objects and references. I wrote a lot of code in Perl 4 and I still maintain it, but I wouldn't write *new* code in Perl now that I have Ruby.

Most of what I have written in Perl is stuff that Perl (4) is good at.
Regular expressions, extracting numerical data from miscellaneous text
files, arrays and hashes. Ruby has all of that, plus a coherent object
model, a coherent "Enumerable" model, lambdas, blocks, continuations ...

I've never subscribed to the "one language" philosophy either, although
I've worked places that do. :) Right now I have two main languages, Perl
and R. But I don't want to write new code in Perl.

>> Perl has learned from the mistakes of Perl, Python, PHP, Java, and even
>> Ruby.  Wow.  You really seem to have it in for Perl.

I'm simply tired of it ... it lacks "elegance". It's useful ... it's
been around longer than Ruby, so there are more libraries and packages
for it. It's not going away. It's evolving. But Ruby's not going away
either. Ruby is evolving.

>> I'd actually be less inclined to take it amiss if you just disliked
>> (modern-day standards) high level languages than this pick-and-choose
>> thing where you like Ruby and hate Chevy -- er, I mean Ford.  No, wait,
>> Perl.  Seriously, though, reading that email of yours was a bit like
>> reading those Chevy vs. Ford bumper stickers.

I haven't seen them ... I have a Ford if it matters. :) I pick on Perl
because I know more Perl than the others. I don't know enough about
Python or PHP to pick on them. There appear to be lots of folks here
that will pick on Python and Java anyway.