On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 12:22:05PM +0900, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Well ... I'm certainly moving towards Ruby. I just need to unlearn Perl.

Wait -- what?  Why?  Learning Ruby is making me a better Perlist, and
knowing Perl is helping in my learning of Ruby.  Both languages have
their advantages and disadvantages, and both have their place in my
toolkit.

I've never subscribed to the "one language" philosophy of programming,
and I don't get it when people talk as though they do.  Was that a joke?

> Note the asbestos suit. :) I *am* a fan of Ruby, relative to Perl,
> Python, PHP and Java. Ruby is a younger language, so it's learned from
> the mistakes of Perl, Python, PHP and Java. But I don't get paid to
> write Ruby -- I get paid to write R and maintain Perl.

Perl has learned from the mistakes of Perl, Python, PHP, Java, and even
Ruby.  Wow.  You really seem to have it in for Perl.

I'd actually be less inclined to take it amiss if you just disliked
(modern-day standards) high level languages than this pick-and-choose
thing where you like Ruby and hate Chevy -- er, I mean Ford.  No, wait,
Perl.  Seriously, though, reading that email of yours was a bit like
reading those Chevy vs. Ford bumper stickers.