Eric Armstrong wrote:

> Interesting. I suppose it could be considered a
> Curses bug, then.

My experience has been that IO is blocking in Ruby/Windows. Just try
creating a background thread to insert into an MSSQL server through
WIN32OLE+ADO. It's an exercise in futility. :-)

I even had a seperate process that exposed a ThreadQueue in the DRb
server for the client to push onto, but while the server was busy, the
client was blocked. _In a completely different process, only connected
through DRb!_

I can appreciate the general Ruby community attitude that OS-Threading
isn't absolutely vital when you're on Linux and have _fork_ at the
ready, but under Windows it's very painful and really limits the types
of applications you can build with Ruby (with a reasonable amount of
effort) IME.