dblack / wobblini.net wrote:

> My current plan, barring unforeseen whatever, is to open registration
> on August 2.  I'm going to be in Los Angeles doing Rails training, so
> it's a bit dependent on hotel connectivity and stuff, and it will
> probably be in the evening, Pacific time.

Given the small number of spots for the conference and the large number
of people who want to fill those spots, I wonder if a two stage
registration would be more egalitarian. Stage one would involve the
collection of details for anyone wanting to register (open for perhaps
two or three days). From this (probably staggering) pool of potential
registrants, the chosen few would be picked at random and their payments
would be collected in the second stage.

While this approach would be a bit more work than just opening the
registration floodgate and watching with horror (or delight?) the
ensuing stampede, it would at least mean a fair chance for those who
find themselves on the toilet when you press the magic button.

On one hand, perhaps the hardcore, with their polling scripts and high
blood pressure, deserve to be rewarded with admission, but on the other
hand, there are a lot of us that are nearly, but not quite, as hardcore
who want to attend just as badly.

Regards,

Tom

--