On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 04:35:05AM +0900, Michael W. Ryder wrote:

> So you are saying that Ruby should only be used by those who can craft a
> perfect Regexp, all others need not bother?  Personally, I choose a
> language by how well it will do the job, not how arcane it is.  Maybe
> you would be happier with APL where you can write an entire program in a
> single line.  Very few other people will ever be able to read it, much
> less maintain it.

Well, that's not exactly fair to languages in which you can write the
entire (presumably nontrivial) program on a single line.  For instance,
Logo allows you to write an entire (nontrivial) program on a single
line, and it's eminently readable -- at least in the same class as Ruby.

Don't allow this digression to distract you from the point you're
making, though.

"The measure on a man's real character is what he would do
if he knew he would never be found out." - Thomas McCauley