On 28 Aug 2001 08:37:23 +0900, Todd Gillespie wrote:
> Sean Middleditch <elanthis / users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> : On 28 Aug 2001 05:44:57 +0900, Avi Bryant wrote:
> :>
> :> This article has already been mentioned once in this thread, but:
> :> http://www.paulgraham.com/lib/paulgraham/sec.txt
> :>
>
> You can see us arguing about this one in the thread "Ruby as opposed to
> Python?".  Check google groups.

Aye, when I get time.  ^,^

> :> By "Algol-spawn" he was referring to the loose family of
> :> C/Java/etc, usually in contrast to Lisp.
>
> : Oh.  ::sigh:: another language added to the growing stack of languages I
> : need/want to learn now.  Was Algol that highly used of a language?  I've
> : not heard much about it.
>
>   This is the genealogy of the programming language Algol:
>
>          Algol was born in year 1958.
>          It became Algol 60 in year 1960.
>          Then it begat PL/I in year 1964.
>          Then it begat Simula in year 1964.
>          It became Algol 68 in year 1968.
>          Then it begat Pascal in year 1970.
>
>   This genealogy is brought to you by the Programming Languages Genealogy
> Project. (from everything2.com)
>
> Somewhere in there Algol 60 or PL/I begat CPL, which begat BCPL in 1967,
> which ken stripped down into B before writing Unix, and was then enhanced
> into C in 1971.

Well.  Learn something everyday.  Or, in my case, it's like 60-something
things this day.  ^,^

> No one will mind if you don't learn it.

Ya, but I like languages.  I still haven't found my perfect language, so
I'm looking into everything I can.  I'm fairly sure though that I'm
horribly tainted with my strong familiarity and loyalty to C/C++,
though...