Sean Middleditch <elanthis / users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
: On 28 Aug 2001 05:44:57 +0900, Avi Bryant wrote:
:>
:> This article has already been mentioned once in this thread, but:
:> http://www.paulgraham.com/lib/paulgraham/sec.txt
:>

You can see us arguing about this one in the thread "Ruby as opposed to
Python?".  Check google groups.

:> By "Algol-spawn" he was referring to the loose family of
:> C/Java/etc, usually in contrast to Lisp.

: Oh.  ::sigh:: another language added to the growing stack of languages I
: need/want to learn now.  Was Algol that highly used of a language?  I've
: not heard much about it.

  This is the genealogy of the programming language Algol:

         Algol was born in year 1958.
         It became Algol 60 in year 1960.
         Then it begat PL/I in year 1964.
         Then it begat Simula in year 1964.
         It became Algol 68 in year 1968.
         Then it begat Pascal in year 1970.

  This genealogy is brought to you by the Programming Languages Genealogy
Project. (from everything2.com)

Somewhere in there Algol 60 or PL/I begat CPL, which begat BCPL in 1967,
which ken stripped down into B before writing Unix, and was then enhanced
into C in 1971.

No one will mind if you don't learn it.

:)

....to say the least.