Alexandru E. Ungur wrote:
> No offence, but who stops you from using Perl :) ?!?
> Just use perl when you're too lazy to think about a regex and hope that
> the engine will fix the crap you put in there, and use Ruby, when you do
> have the time and the interest to actually think. How about that?
> Wouldn't this be "the best of both worlds"... ?
>
> Of course you and all the other wise "haha I found one more bug in Ruby"
> guys could actually follow the very good advice of reading 'Mastering
> Regular Expressions', and stop dumping crap on this list, but hey I know
> it's not a perfect world :)
>
> This is just disgusting, to take proud in your own stupidity and have
> the audacity that others should turn it into wisdom on their time and
> money. How about you two guys get together and write that extension you
> so badly need and make yourself happy with your own hands? It's a little
> harder than whinning on a list, but hey, you're smart guys, after all
> you
> "found where Ruby sucks" and others do a great job... and nobody else
> from all the people on the list discovered this! Gosh, you must be
> really smart... :)
>
> I'd say "Good luck" but you're probably just too smart to need it
> anyway...
How often do you want to repeat embarrassing yourself here by showing
a total lack of understanding the actual issue here?
Why do you join into a discussion with your childish fanboyism when
you actually have no idea what you are talking about?
As I have pointed out the example is illustrative -- in the general case
it is much harder and sometimes impossible to simply manually correct
a regular expression that shows exponential backtracking behavior.
It *is* in many cases possible however to prevent that exponential
backtracking behavior with a nifty optimization of the matching engine
(though it comes at a penalty and does not work for all cases, as has
been
pointed out).
Also, the obvious reason for not using perl in the first place is that
Ruby has a lot of very fine things to offer that many prefer over perl.
My experience with Ruby is exactly that -- I love the beauty of the
design and many details about the language, but there are still flaws.
Apart from the one I pointed out here, my main other concern is the lack
of proper Unicode support -- though I hear that this is being worked on
for the next release.

So could I humbly ask you to try to understand these points (and the
issues with complex regular expressions, for that matter) and either
contribute something useful finally to this thread or else go somewhere
else to live out your childishness?