>>> sender: "Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality" date: "Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 02:55:05PM +0900" <<<EOQ
>     It is not clear cut to me, either, and yes, it is worth noting that
> there are performance trade-offs.  However, the poster to whom I was
> responding dismissed it, out of hand, by blaming the programmer, much like
> the 60's auto industry blaming accidents on drivers as an excuse for not
> bothering with safety features...
>
>     If the performance hit is great and the regex pattern uncommon, it may
> very well not be worth it.  This is, of course, debatable and that's my
> point.  Personally, I don't use Ruby to write fast programs, I use it to
> write (correct) programs fast.
>     At the very least, perhaps the PERL Regexp engine can be written as a
> Ruby extension and used as another Regexp class that we "require" in our
> code when we feel it's more appropriate?  I'm a big believer in the Best of
> Both Worlds solution...
No offence, but who stops you from using Perl :) ?!?
Just use perl when you're too lazy to think about a regex and hope that
the engine will fix the crap you put in there, and use Ruby, when you do
have the time and the interest to actually think. How about that?
Wouldn't this be "the best of both worlds"... ?

Of course you and all the other wise "haha I found one more bug in Ruby"
guys could actually follow the very good advice of reading 'Mastering
Regular Expressions', and stop dumping crap on this list, but hey I know
it's not a perfect world :)

This is just disgusting, to take proud in your own stupidity and have
the audacity that others should turn it into wisdom on their time and
money. How about you two guys get together and write that extension you
so badly need and make yourself happy with your own hands? It's a little
harder than whinning on a list, but hey, you're smart guys, after all you
"found where Ruby sucks" and others do a great job... and nobody else
from all the people on the list discovered this! Gosh, you must be
really smart... :)

I'd say "Good luck" but you're probably just too smart to need it
anyway...

To all the other decent readers on the list:
I appologise for my post, I may be breaking the netiquette here, but
this was just too much... :(
I'm a Ruby nuby too, I am not the Grand Master of regular expressions,
but I love Ruby just the way it is, and it really hurts me to see this
crap attitude about Ruby's "limitations" coming from people not able
to understand their own limitations...

All the best to all the decent people,
Alex