Thanks a lot you guys.  It seems that that specific problem was solved
when I updated feedtools through gems.  I was using 0.2.25 and now I'm
on 0.2.26  I notice that the previous poster is on 0.2.27, but I am
trying to stick to gem installs.

For a follow-up question, anyone know of a good ruby feed validator?

Currently I crawl what I think are feeds using my own custom crawler:

    feed = FeedTools::Feed.new
    feed.feed_data = _my_data_returned_from_crawler

I would like to 1) validate the feed before submitting feed contents to
feedtools 2) try to extract a feed link out of
_my_data_returned_from_crawler in the case that it is not a valid feed.

I have seen the ruby extension for feedvalidator.org, but unfortunately
I it won't work for me since I want to keep the validation on my local
machine.

Thanks a lot again.