> Hi,
>
> When I have a tk window open and I close it with the close (X) button up in
> the corner (Windows 98), Tk.mainloop returns and the program continues
> execution.  (Of course, there usually is no more program, but never mind
> that for the moment.)  However, if I click a button with command {proc
> exit}, the whole ruby program stops right there... do not pass GO, etc.

You "exit" Ruby! What do you expect?

> Does anyone know why this is?  Can I close my tk window and have Tk.mainloop
> return to the rest of the program nicely without clicking the "X" button?
> What happens when I click the "X" button?

  root = TkRoot.new()
  button = TkButton.new(root)
  button.command {
    root.destroy()
  }

when you click "X", the window is destroyed in the same way. When you
destroy the root window, Tk stops after producing a series of events
that you can catch:

  root.bind("Destroy") { |event|
    p event  if event.widget == root  # You also get this event for
                        # the destruction of all widgets within the window :)
  }

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ------- http://members.chello.nl/~k.vangelder ---+