------art_8288_14760610.1153923628546

On 7/26/06, James Edward Gray II <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2006, at 8:57 AM, Charles O Nutter wrote:
>
> > - Write it in C is as valid as write it in Java (as someone else
> > mentioned).
> > Java is at least as fast as C for most algorithms.
>
> I'm Java Certified and I've been hearing people say this for years,
> but I just haven't experienced this myself.  You guys must develop on
> much faster boxes than my MacBook Pro.  ;)

Well la-dee-dah! Seriously though, there's a volume of tests and benchmarks
(for what they're worth) that show this to be true, and for memory-intensive
situations Java almost always wins because lazy memory management allows
work to get done first, faster. Granted, Java's abstractions make it easier
to write bad code...but that's true of every language, including C.

- Charles Oliver Nutter, CERTIFIED Java Developer

--
Charles Oliver Nutter @ headius.blogspot.com
JRuby Developer @ www.jruby.org

------art_8288_14760610.1153923628546--