Thanks for the replies people

On Wednesday 26 July 2006 10:44, Pit Capitain wrote:
> Ashley, in addition to Sean's answer, remember that the methods you
> define at the toplevel, outside of any class, aren't singleton methods
> of the "main" object. Instead, they are private methods of class Object.
> Since every class is a subclass of Object, they inherit these "toplevel"
> methods. In your method Foo#test, you're actually calling
>
> elf.global_test
>
> so you're not calling a method of a different object. The following is
> based on your code above:

I think I get it now.  I assumed that top-level methods were singleton
methods.  I'll have to watch this - I've been busy writing DSLs lately so my
code is apparently littered with methods added to Object, I didn't realise
they could be called anywhere.

Ashley

--
"If you do it the stupid way, you will have to do it again"
  - Gregory Chudnovsky