> It seems that when I YAML.dump arrays that contain long strings that
> contain non-printables and sometimes UTF-8 sequences, the YAML'ed
> objects can't be read back in.  Is this a known issue?  If so, is
> there a known work-around?  Alternatively, are there any other ways to
> serialize objects (JSON doesn't work because eval() barfs on very long
> strings)?
I've had that in one of my rails projects. Luckily it was for a cache, and
it only happened sporadically. So my solution was to catch the exception
and just not read that cache file back in, but recreating it from its
source. You might of course not have that option.

I have posted on ruby-core about it, but haven't gotten much
interest/feedback. I even had a file that threw an exception on each
YAML.load. (Which I deleted some time ago)

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ruby.core/6996

No help offered there, but I wanted to show compassion... ;)
kaspar

--
neotrivium.com - swiss ruby shop