[...]
> array_input = []
> input = ''
> while input != "bye"
>   input = gets.chomp
>   array_input << input
> end
> puts
> array_input.delete_if { |x| x == 'bye' }
> puts array_input.sort
>
> Problem is I would actually like to know how to solve the problem as
> written! So when I use "while input != "something goes here and I'm
> not sure what to use to designate a blank line." Then I can eliminate
> the second to the last line.

Hi! gets returns a blank line as a string with only the line feed
character ("\n"). chomp chops it off and nothing remains, so after
   input = gets.chomp
you can compare input with '' to see if you have an empty line.

Delete that first spurious assignment to input (and don't put it back)
and you'll find the solution. Good luck.