I think that the word should be exemplar, but a google search of
the newsgroup showed no posts.

Is there any capability in Ruby to create a class using a
modified object from some other class as a basis?

I.e., to move from "the striped canary" (there's probably only
one that fits the description) to "a striped canary, the one over
there on the fence" (there is a collection of striped canaries,
now pick the one of them identified by...).

The specifications for class indicate that only a class can be an
ancestor, so that isn't quite what I'm asking about, but nearly.
If the specifications were widened a bit so that it could take an
object, as well as a class, as it's ancestor then it would be
what I'm asking about.

It feels like this should be an obvious and reasonable thing to
do, but I can't figure out how it should be done.  (I must admit
I don't yet have a valid reason for needing to do this, but I'm
still in the process of learning, so that isn't to be expected.)
--
 Charles Hixson

 Copy software legally, the GNU way!
 Use GNU software, and legally make and share copies of software.
 See:
    http://www.gnu.org
    http://www.redhat.com
    http://www.linux-mandrake.com