"Kevin Smith" <kevinbsmith / yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:20010825144840.31857.qmail / web13803.mail.yahoo.com...

> Indeed. The problem I'm referring to is for implicit DLL
> linking. Not COM.

And yes, implicit linking (if you thereby mean adding a lib file to
Developer Studio projects and equivalent)
is what I normally use when not using COM.

> I assume you used LoadLibrary. Instead, as a test, you

Yes - and I did test on W2K.

> might try creating two different DLL's with the same module
> name. Maybe it would have a "hello" function that would
> return a constant string.

I don't want to spend more time on testing this unless it would be of direct
benefit for something. Life is to short and there are too many Windows
platforms...

I'm just surprised about this load issue, since I've never encountered it
myself.

But then I've been frantically trying to avoid multiversion dll's in the
first place.
That is: The "module already loaded" issue drowns in the issue of loading
the wrong version. This is usually solved with renaming - not for avoiding
loaded module conflicts, but to avoid the dll from being overwritten by a
newer installation.

So if Cygwin would just use a different name for each version that breaks
the old, or if Ruby could modify the Cygwin dll before linking with it, it
should be ok. Isn't it possible to link statically to Cygwin?

Mikkel