In article <44C3B1F8.3040608 / cesmail.net>,
  "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb / cesmail.net> writes:

> Some important vendors of such equipment -- Cray, FPS and IBM -- adhered
> to neither of these standards. Digital/Compaq/HP adopted it for the
> Alphas but kept the Vax line at its historic format for compatibility.
> But *new* architectures almost entirely adopted IEEE -- there is little
> reason not to do so. At some point in the evolution of Ruby, the number
> of actual users of non-IEEE platforms will be negligible. Just out of
> curiosity, how many users of non-IEEE Ruby are there on this list, and
> what fraction of the total list membership does that represent? Feel
> free to decline to answer if you're in a classified shop. :)

Some time ago, I installed Ruby on NetBSD/vax on SIMH.
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/vax/
http://simh.trailing-edge.com/

It is fine until make.
But make test fails because 0.0/0 fails.
I guess VAX has no NaN.

I think no one try to fix it.

Note that I also installed Ruby on Debian for S/390 on Hercules.
http://www.debian.org/ports/s390/
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/

Unexpectedly, Ruby works fine on S/390.

After some investigation, I found that newer models have
IEEE registers and Linux kernel emulates them for old
models.
http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/ELF/zSeries/lzsabi0_s390.html
--
Tanaka Akira