Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:35:14 -0600 (MDT)
From: ara.t.howard / noaa.gov
To: ruby-core / ruby-lang.org
Subject: Re: One-Click Installer: MinGW? or VC2005?

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, Austin Ziegler wrote:

> On 7/18/06, U.Nakamura <usa / garbagecollect.jp> wrote:
>> Even if you choose either, you will have to compile all sources
>> by the compiler as which you chose.
>
> Mmm. This may or may not be the case. This is why I have been trying
> to collect information for an ongoing conversation with Microsoft.
> They are ... concerned that we are still using VC6 as our compiler and
> want to see what can be helped to provide better support for moving
> Ruby to VC8.

here's an example showing the abis of the c libs are not compatible:

   Ara@windozer C:/msys/1.0/home/Ara/build/narray-0.5.8
   $ /c/ruby/bin/ruby -r ./narray.so -e'  p NArray  '
   ./narray.so: 127: The specified procedure (isacii) could not be found.   -
./narray.so (LoadError)

   Ara@windozer C:/msys/1.0/home/Ara/build/narray-0.5.8
   $ /c/usr/local/bin/ruby -r ./narray.so -e'  p NArray  '
   NArray

to reproduce

   - install msys

   - build an msys ruby:

     - export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/c/usr/local/lib
     - export LD_RUN_PATH=/c/usr/local/lib
     - download ruby
     - unpack
     - ./configure --prefix=/c/usr/local && make && make install

   - download and build narray using msys ruby:

       ruby extconf.rb && make && make install

if you've managed to install both the one-click and an msys ruby this script
will demonstrate the issue (obviously run it from msys command line):

     #! /bin/bash

     msys_ruby="/c/usr/local/bin/ruby"
     one_click_ruby="/c/ruby/bin/ruby"

     unset RUBYOPT

     cd ~
     mkdir build 2>/dev/null
     cd build

     curl http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/7658/narray-0.5.8.tar.gz > narray-0.5.8.tar.gz

     tar xvfz narray-0.5.8.tar.gz
     cd narray-0.5.8
     $msys_ruby extconf.rb && make && make install
     $msys_ruby -r narray -e'  puts "you just installed #{ NArray }"  '

     $msys_ruby -r ./narray.so -e'  p "msys narray success!"  '
     $one_click_ruby -r ./narray.so -e'  p "one_click_ruby narray success!"  '

     cd ~

i'll be out of town all weekend, hopefully this is valuable info.

-a
--
suffering increases your inner strength.  also, the wishing for suffering
makes the suffering disappear.