Jeff -

I think there are a few flaws in your argument. For starters, many of
the things (though not all) that you've listed as "bad" examples can't
neatly be summed up in a single sentence. Capistrano/SwitchTower, for
starters (and that had a good name until it got C&D'd).
acts_as_authenticated does what it says on the tin, but little else.

Secondly, well, the other naming style has problems too. There's an
acts_as_taggable gem for Rails, and another acts_as_taggable plugin.
Both work differently, have different functionality, and are
frequently confused.

By contrast, I'd argue that Mongrel (eg) is a memorable name because
it's unique, and it's unlikely anyone else would bother calling their
product Mongrel after one exists. By contrast, when you name things
for what they do... what if you don't like the version that exists and
write your own? You have to name it differently to avoid a clash, but
then you stop saying what it does.

Ruby is not the only language that has whimsical names for software,
and, tbh, people tend to remember names for things they need. Mongrel,
Ferret, Bluecloth - I use this, so I know immediately what they are. I
remembered what they are because I needed their functionality. By
contrast, I don't know what ozimodo or Korundum are (without
Googling), so I either a) haven't heard of them yet or b) decided I
didn't need what they do.

In short: I appreciate your concern, but am not sure it's an issue.
Besides: the language is called Ruby. Perl is an acronym. PHP is an
acronym. Ruby is just a name. It means nothing. Why would anyone want
to remember the name of a language that doesn't explain what it does?

On 21/07/06, Jeff Pritchard <jp / jeffpritchard.com> wrote:
> Is it just me, or do other Rubyists find it difficult to remember what a
> whimsically named module or plug-in was called that they saw on this or
> some other forum just last week.  I've only been into Ruby for a few
> months now, and in that time I've seen probably a hundred announcements
> for cool new code that I can drop into my projects to do cool new things
> that otherwise would not have been worth the trouble...
>
> ...I've also, a few hundred times, seen an announcement a few days or
> weeks later announcing the next version of something I've heard of
> before, and had absolutely no faintest recollection of what said module
> or plugin does.
>
> Just to name a few in no particular order:
> Juggernaut, Capistrano, ferret, Mongoose, Curses, RMajic, Selenium,
> BlueCloth, ozimodo, Mechanize,Korundum, Nitro, Mongrel
>
> You get the idea.  How is one supposed to remember these names long
> enough to find a use for said jewel and become more familiar with it.
> Instead, one finds a use for something he's seen before and finds it
> nearly impossible to find the module again due to the cleverly disguised
> name chosen by it's author.
>
> There are a zillion examples of things that are better named, like the
> "acts_as_authenticated" plugin I'm looking at now.  It may not seem very
> original, but I can sure find it when I need it.
>
> Just food for thought for the many great people cooking up the next
> batch of great stuff to plug in to my projects...
>
> thanks for listening,
> jp
>
> --
> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
>
>