I'm trying to interface with the flickr API to pull my photos into my
site.  I don't want to use the "flickr.rb" gem, I'd like to do it the
other way so I can learn (plus I had trouble loading the gem on my
server).  Anyway, here's what I have:

#Application.rb controller

    def get_response(path, http)
      request = Net::HTTP::Get.new(path)
      response = http.request(request)
      response.value
      response.body
    end

    path =
"/services/rest/?api_key=API_KEY&method=flickr.photos.search&user_id=USER_ID&tags=TAG"
    http = Net::HTTP.new('flickr.com')

    @photo_ids = Array.new
    http.start do |http|
      xml = get_response(path, http)
      REXML::Document.new(xml).root.get_elements('photo').each do
|photo|
        id = photo.attributes['id']
        @photo_ids << id

#Application.rhtml layout

<% for p in @photo_ids %>
  <%= p %>
<% end %>

This just doesn't do anything.  It doesn't give me errors, but it the
@photo_ids variable is empty.  I've also tried <%= p.id %> and so on.

Can someone see something wrong with this code?  Thanks!