"Morris, Chris" wrote:

> > I really know of no other field of endeavor where so many
> > "professionals" carry so much baggage of expectations into a
> > totally new place.  Who here has an explanation for this plague
> > of rigidity?
>
> My opinion: to some, learning is painful. It requires humility (a need to
> learn = ignorance) and the process of removing pride hurts.
>
> Is it our profession that has so many of rigid people ... or does our
> profession have a higher number of different tools for similar jobs ... or
> are most people just rigid anyway?
>
> Chris

I think it's a process of ossification that happens to anything
as it grows up and old. Computer Science has matured so that it
is now a hot degree program in our universities, and market needs
have attracted many who have no gift for generic problem
solving.  They are taught standardized languages and
methodologies; and for the most part they follow recipes in
cookbooks as if it were religious dogma.  I've noticed that those
who take the most delight in Ruby are those who have always been
on a quest for the "perfect" computer language.  Of course, there
is no such thing.  But, then a quest is a quest: the end is not
as fun as the journey.
--
"It requires wisdom to understand wisdom:
 the music is nothing if the audience is deaf."