James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Jamey Cribbs wrote:
>
>> My plan is to slowly bring Mongoose up to the same feature set as
>> KirbyBase.
>
> Does «Éat mean Mongoose will gain a plain text output, maybe using
> YAML instead of Marshal to dump?
>
> I realize Marshal is a key element of the knew performance.  I'm just
> wondering if there could be an option, for those who was the easily
> edited data and are willing to make the speed sacrifice.
I think I am going to tackle this one using a two-pronged approach:

1).  I will soon add #import and #export methods to the Table class, so
that if you needed to edit a table as text, you could simply #export all
of the records to  a text file, edit it, then #import the text file back
into the table.  I was planning on making the format CSV (taking
advantage of FasterCSV, perhaps you've heard of it ;-) ).  Would people
prefer YAML instead?  My thought with YAML was just that, with a large
table, it could quite large, since it places each field on a newline.

2).  Down the road a bit, I plan on offering the option to switch off
the serialization via Marshal and just have the table stored as a
line-delimited plain-text file (just like KirbyBase).  You would
definitely lose some speed, but then you could edit the table files
directly.

I would be interested in any feedback on my approach.  If you would
really like to see a feature be implemented sooner, please speak up!

Jamey