John Fink wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm attempting to write a little program that uses the Net::HTTP library to
> fetch a text file.  The text file has lines broken up by newlines, and I
> thought I could use the .to_a method to convert a variable into an array,
> but when I do it it puts the entire text file into the first marker on the
> array, and the rest are nil.
>
> Here's the program.  I know I'm missing something grotesquely obvious, and
> thanks in advance for beating me with the clue stick.
>
> What I expected was for test to return what it returns, but test2[0] to
> return "This" and test2[1] to return "is".  Test2[0] returns identical
> results to test.

You are not mistaken; String#to_a returns an array of lines. But you didn't
invoke to_a on a string, you invoked it on a Net::HTTPOK object, which just
wraps the object inside an array:

test           #=> #<Net::HTTPOK 200 OK readbody=true>
test.to_a      #=> [#<Net::HTTPOK 200 OK readbody=true>]
test.body.to_a #=> ["this\n", "is\n", "a\n", "test\n"]

Daniel