Massimiliano Mirra wrote:
> Has anyone successfully compiled ruby-odbc under Debian (woody)?  I
> downloaded all the ODBC packages I could find in the distribution and
> still get after a make:
>
> gcc -fPIC -g -O2 -fPIC  -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/i386-linux -I/usr/include -DHAVE_SQL_H -DHAVE_SQLEXT_H   -c -o odbc.o odbc.c
> odbc.c:40: #error Missing include: odbcinst.h
> odbc.c:3956: macro `O_CONST' used with too many (2) args
> odbc.c:3957: macro `O_CONST' used with too many (2) args
> odbc.c:3958: macro `O_CONST' used with too many (2) args
> make: *** [odbc.o] Error 1
>
> What must be there that contains odbcinst.h?
>
> Alternatively, is there any other way to uniformly access SQL
> databases?  I am currently using Postgres but I'd like my code not to
> be tied to a single database.

Have a look at Ruby/DBI (= Databases/DBI at RAA), a DataBase Independent interface similar
to Perl's DBI in it's architecture:

  http://www.ruby-projects.org/dbi

In FreeBSD/NetBSD there is already a package for ruby-DBI as well as a database driver
for PostgreSQL, so I assume that there's a Debian package available, too.

Regards,

  Michael

--
Michael Neumann