"Logan Capaldo" <logancapaldo / gmail.com> wrote in message
news:70EBC0F7-3357-4DCD-BF2F-3BD0FBBAE92F / gmail.com...

> The interface to Net::HTTP changed between 1.6 and 1.8
> You want
> http.get('/').body

    Ah, thanks...

>>     Now, I do have access to a Linux system with Ruby 1.6 and it
>> sometimes
>> succeeds but often fails with this error:
>>

>> /usr/lib/ruby/1.6/net/protocol.rb:221:in `error!': 403 "Forbidden"
>> (Net::ProtoFatalError)
>>         from /usr/lib/ruby/1.6/net/http.rb:1217:in `value'
>>         from /usr/lib/ruby/1.6/net/http.rb:605:in `get'
>>         from ./web.rb:16
>>

>>     How is this possible?  How can it sometimes succeed and  sometimes
>> fail?
>> Why can't this reliably work?
>>     Thank you...
>>
> It doesn't reliably work because this is the internet. Also the
> particular error you are seeing means that the webserver has  forbidden
> access to the url you are trying to, um, access.

    But I can access the page just fine with a web browser.  For instance,
go to "/" at "en.wikipedia.org" and it will reliably work with a browser.
Try it with Ruby and it will usually fail, although I did get it to work
occasionally, last night, which I don't get.
    Hell, "/" at "music.com" has _never_ worked and there doesn't appear to
be any kind of redirect or anything.
    Does any of this make sense?
    Thank you...