Dave Burt wrote:
> On Windows, under the cmd.exe shell, you don't need readline for
> history, cmd.exe provides it by default. My preference is to run
> irb --noreadline. As an added bonus, that means I can paste text with
> tabs in it into the irb session.

Good tip.  The only problem is that this breaks tab completion also,
which I find very helpful.

However, you may have found the cause of the bug.  Perhaps the fact
that cmd.exe is providing its own history interferes with irb's
readline history.  Is there anyway to shut off cmd's history?

(As an aside, I don't think it's possible to run a console program in
Windows without going through cmd.exe)