Mauricio Fernandez wrote:
> Here are a few other minor arguments for MinGW:
> * availability: MinGW will not disappear the way VC6 did
> * redistribution: is it allowed to redistribute VC 2005 at all? And to bundle
>   it with other software? A "Ruby devel. kit" (in a similar spirit as Instant
>   Rails) including MSYS+MinGW is at least conceivable -- would it be legally
>   possible with VC?

A small addition to Mauricio's point: if a compiler is distributed with
ruby, then that will benefit not just developers but users of software
that depends on C code generators such as RubyInline.

(Personally, my interest is in Cgenerator and the RedShift simulation
framework. There's no way to distribute a binary extension because the
extension needs to be generated at run time according to the flow
equations, guards, transitions, and other specifications provided in the
user's ruby code.)