Sean O'Halpin wrote:
> People spent 10 years becoming expert in these technologies just to
> see them thrown away.

in some cases, its called progress.

> Nearly all the good stuff we enjoy in Ruby on Windows comes from its
> *nix background - using MinGW makes it a heck of a lot easier to
> compile all those libs.

it just proves ruby is full of unixism and is unixcentric as opposed to
being
windows centric. Thats its heratige, it was written on unix and uses
what it knows.

Now me, I feel left out in the cold since I use OpenWatcom...

the problem I think, ruby assumes too much about your system.

what needs to be done with the one click installer is not have it
assume its
on the system that built it. it would be nice, if there was a generic
config
that could be changed so MAKE=nmake.exe and CC=cl.exe that overrides
whatever ruby is assuming...

There is no real easy way out and I tink that mingw will/should get
ratified
as 'TheOne(tm)'. As long as people understand that MinGW is minimal and
some full blown './configure && make' its not designed to be cygwin,
that Min is for Minimal.

In the ruby extension case, 'minimal' should be enough to build any
required extensions.
Now packaging it with the one click installer would be nice, we could
assume then (ooh assumptions!) that a specific version of ruby on
windows will have a specific version of mingw + supporting cast
members....

-stu