On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:40, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

Might I just say that the first thing which attracted me to Ruby is its
`smallness' and logical simplicity. The more `features' you add to a computer
system of any kind, the more possibilities you add for errors to creep in.

The `++' operator is just a 30 year old hangover from C which is a dreadful
language; just an assembler in disguise. Yes, I've had an epiphany and seen
the error of my ways.

The autoincrement operator was put into the C language just because it could
be mapped simply to a single instruction in PDP-11 assembler code. Thus it
was possible to scan over a vector of values very quickly. This was important
at the time when it took over a microsecond to execute a single machine
instruction.Thirty years down the track we now have Code Red and `friends'
wrecking havoc because it is so easy to abuse this auto increment operator.

It's not needed in Ruby simply because we have the superiour iterator
constructs.

Please do not add it to Ruby.

--
Sincerely etc.,

 NAME       Christopher Sawtell
 CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
 ICQ UIN    45863470
 EMAIL      csawtell @ paradise . net . nz
 CNOTES     ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

 -> Please refrain from using HTML or WORD attachments in e-mails to me <-