I agree with you that the create_fdf method is kind of a "magic" hack,
but it allows you to very simply take hash data to fill in a form.
I'll be honest, though I understand how it works, I didn't create this
method or do much to change it.  Using pdftk makes a lot of since to
me, since leveraging a separate tool increases the debugging base.

We're using Acrobat to create our form template.

Rob Kaufman