On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Curt Hibbs wrote:

> Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed account. Now that you
> mention it, I have encountered the very same problem myself with OpenSSL. I
> actually gave up trying to solve the compile problem when I found a
> pre-built binary for OpenSSL.

right.  the question is whether it's reasonable and/or healthly for the ruby
community to require pre-built binaries for every peice of third party
software or not?  my personal feeling is that be making that requirement, no
matter which compiler you choose, you'll see abi incompats because who knows
what, for example, the openssl guy used.  it just seems like the only way out
is to at least provide an easy path for people who want to build stuff because
otherwise it's like you have to get everyone, including 3rd party people and
extension writers, to agree on one compiler and that seems, frankly,
impossible.

the caveat, however, is whether mingw can cut the mustard.  i've not heard any
reason why it couldn't - but i am simply not experience enough on windoze to
know for sure.

kind regards.

-a
--
suffering increases your inner strength.  also, the wishing for suffering
makes the suffering disappear.