On Jul 17, 2006, at 6:37 PM, Alex Nedelcu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Ruby 1.8.2 installed on a RHEL 3 server from the tarball,
> install with the usual make/make install procedure.
> How can I uninstall Ruby so I can install Ruby 1.8.4 ?
>
> Also, can you tell how could I build a RPM package so I don't have
> to worry about it in the future ?
>
> Sorry about asking, I'm a newbie when it comes to Linux.
>
> Thanks,

Chances are good that you can just install 1.8.4.  It'll likely
overwrite the old stuff assuming you didn't provide any switches to
the install process.

You can google for how to build RPMs, but it's not easy.  The reason
it knows where all the files are is because someone took the time to
list them all in the SPEC file in the RPM.  Go for it if you want,
but I'd bet the spray-n-pray method will work fine for you.
-Mat