On 7/16/06, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: How to speed up ruby and make it as fast as possible"
>     on Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:16:23 +0900, Reggie Mr <buppcpp / yahoo.com> writes:
>
> |My suggestion to anyone new or old that finds Ruby slow is this...
> |
> |It will never get better by this group.
>
> Agreed.  Saying it's slow is far easier to make it fast.  I know it's
> slow.  We are working for it.  What can I say more.
>
> Blaming, beating, or even insulting us would never help performance.
>
>                                                         matz.

Firstly, I want to make clear that I agree with Matz's point here.

What I find amazing in this thread is how far from the original
question it got, without even scratching the surface of the initial
question.

The OP asked: I have a server, a Ruby app, is anything I can do to
make the app use more resources of my server.

I would say that in the world I am come from, or maybe in an ideal
world I would say:
- have you identified which parts are slow for you? I mean what is
performing bad from your business perspective?
- if not, than I would ask how can I figure out which parts are the
slowest for the scenarios I want more speed
- if yes, I would point my finger to the problem and ask if there is
any knowledge on how to speed up those fragment. If not, than what
alternatives I can take.

(but here I haven't even figured out what the app is about, or I
completely missed it).

Once again, going back to my world if an app works badly from the
client perspective, than I start looking at the app, I start looking
at the confs (maybe I really have bad configurations), I look at the
overall architecture (maybe I am doing too much networking, etc.).

Ruby execution, like any other PL, has a known speed. You must take
care that your app is following the best principles and come as close
as optimal. Than you need to look at all the pieces of the puzzle. If
somebody wants to blame the speed of the PL/environment than I would
say that they made a very wrong initial decission and nothing will
help him out.

just my 2 eurocents,

./alex
--