On Saturday, July 15, 2006, at 8:10 AM, Steven R. wrote:
>I recently installed Ruby 1.8.4 on my iMac, running OSX 10.4. Ruby,
>Rails, etc. run great and I am working through Ruby for Rails (great
>book, BTW).
>
>I installed ruby in /usr/local so as not to conflict with the version
>(1.8.2) used by OSX.
>
>Now, I have to type "/usr/local/bin" before all Ruby commands, and
>similar to use rails, rubygems, etc.
>
>This is causing several problems with gems as well, as the Mongrel
>webserver (for example) requires 1.8.4, and if you try to install it via
>gem it dies - it is smart enough to see the 'system' version, but not
>the /usr/local version and won't let you install it on an 'old' system.
>
>I tried Google-ing for $PATH configurations, because I know it has to be
>a simple fix to let me run "ruby -v" (or whatever) at a prompt pretty
>much anywhere and have my system use the /usr/local version (1.8.4)
>instead of 1.8.2, but I just can't figure it out.
>
>Paste of relevant issue from terminal session below, including $PATH in
>case I made a non-obvious (to me) error there.
>
>Alpha:~ srummel$ ruby -v
>ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]
>Alpha:~ srummel$ echo $PATH
>/usr/local/mysql/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin

As Elliot suggests, re-order your path.  The system looks for programs
on the path from left to right.  So as /usr/bin comes before /usr/local/
bin, the system ruby is found first.  So if you move /usr/local/bin in
front of /usr/bin, then your version of ruby will be found first.

I would not modify anything in /usr/bin directly.  Apple assumes that
the system /usr/bin is theirs and unmodified and will (and have!) change
things there in updates without warning - possibly breaking your
modifications and potentially causing serious system problems.
Installing in /usr/local and prepending it to your path is the usual
unix way of doing things.

-r

--
Posted with http://DevLists.com.  Sign up and save your mailbox.