Thanks for the fast reply - if I read this correctly, I am literally
removing ruby (or irb, etc.) from the path the system 'sees' to a
directory it won't (not on $PATH) so it will eventually default to my
/usr/local version - is this correct?

I understand the mv command - it is the impact on system behavior as it
searches for a path I am asking about - that's unclear to me.

Thanks again -

SR