Jamal Mazrui wrote:
> Certainly, Ruby performance is not always a problem.  It may not even be
> a problem in most situations.  The issue arises enough on the list,
> however, that, combined with personal experience, I am convinced it is a
> significant problem.  I think Ruby has few problems compared to other
> languages, but this is probably its biggest one.  Quantifying it more
> than that is difficult, and should not be necessary for it to be
> acknowledged as a valid concern.
>
> Since the message that began this thread asked how to speed up Ruby
> programs, it was obviously a problem for that author.  Also, if it was
> not a problem, why would speed improvement be a major goal of YARV/Ruby
> 2?
>
> Not everyone is in a position to contribute directly to the improvement
> of the Ruby language/VM.  They still have a stake in the community,
> however, and contribute in other ways.  Those who are in a position to
> improve the language will probably produce more valued results if
> informed about our needs as developers.  Evidently, increased speed is
> not important to everyone, but expressing an interest in it should be
> o.k., too.
>
> Regards,
> Jamal

+1

I don't get why Jamal is called a troll here.

I would love ruby to be faster. How fast? I don't know, as fast as possible
I guess. I would even love C to be faster, and a lot of people spend a lot
of effort to make that happen (optimizing optimizers). There is nothing wrong
with that (not for C and not for ruby).

The original Poster was asking very specific things like configurations,
resources, memory limits, priorities and got

"Write it C."

as an answer. I would consider that trolling, and jamal seems to think so too.

cheers

Simon