On 14/07/06, dblack / wobblini.net <dblack / wobblini.net> wrote:
> > I know but other characters are used differently in various
> > circumstances. For example {} is for a hash or a block depending where
> > it is in the code.
>
> OK, then let me put it differently: repurposing comment syntax is a
> bad idea :-)  I really think that comments are important enough that
> they deserve a completely unchallenged syntax.  (I know about "#{}".
> I consider the quotation marks a mitigating factor: "#" wouldn't be a
> comment anyway.)

Yeah your point is really valid :-) Nonetheless, how often do you
think that there is a def keywork, a class and right after, with no
space, a # with some comment  in all the project's ruby code ? I guess
not that much.

> > class Test end
> > def Test::LibPath; "." end
> > Test::LibPath = File.dirname(__FILE__)
> >
> > Test::LibPath would always give the dirname of __FILE__. But in that
> > case you could use Test.method(:LibPath)
>
> So you'd have to know whether there was a method of the same name...
> which I think is very fragile.

I don't know. A method access (in contrary to method call) is already
pretty specific, plus camel cases methods are also pretty specific. If
you do something like this, you would take care isn't it ? But again,
it's just an idea. I'm pretty sure it will not be adopted but I like
to discuss about it :-)

--
Cheers,
  zimbatm