On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:18:10AM +0900, Sascha L?decke wrote:
> It might be special to your management.  Wherever I've been working so
> far, the admins were responsible for keeping the machines running
> _and_ installing all software the developers needed.

Same thing here ;)

> So maybe it's a convincing reason to tell you management, that you can
> do it in perl and TCL, but you produce programs a lot faster, more
> reliable and even more extendable in ruby.  And you only want to try a
> single program, not a bunch of programming languages.
>
> Are you allowed to install software in your home directory?  Grab a
> recent tarball of a precompiled ruby and install it there, or compile
> yourself.  It's easy.

Well, the problem is that the software you write should be able to be
used by more people, too, which needed to install an own version of ruby
then, which would complicate everything. If a central admin refuses to
install it, you have a problem ;) After all you don't write software for
the mere writing of the software, but for somebody else's use, too ;)

I guess it's also an issue about languages which once were chosen to
be used, whole departments learned them, and now they all should switch
to another version (i.e. your program has an interpreter where you can
launch commands in a "shell" - new syntax. Your program is used as a
plugin/lib for own programs - new programming language) of programming
language just to satisfy your needs ? I can understand why for at least
some places in office environment your local admin says, "No" and sticks
to it :)

> Regards,
>
> --
> Sascha