> error until I discovered that there is no ++ operator in Ruby. Is this
> due to any design concepts (that I don't understand) or is this just a
> missing feature? At least the Int class should have this operator
> defined, or what do you say?

There are cases where a preincrement and postincrement oprator would be
useful.  They could conceivably call x=x.succ and x=x.pred (though no one
has written pred yet; it's in the ToDo).  This could be confusing, though,
and it's not that difficult to use succ and pred directly (except for
postincrement, in which case I question whether perhaps the code shouldn't
be divided into two separate lines of code anyway).

The goal in Ruby is not necessarily to make code as succinct as possible;
it is to make it as easy to read as possible.  Sometimes these are
compatible goals, but other times they are not.

Paul