Aleksei Guzev wrote:
> I used Python at work for two years. After testing Ruby I had migrated
> to Ruby completeley. My coworkers followed me.

Maybe you could elaborate on this?

I find Python/Ruby comparison interesting, because I'm currently trying
to choose a language to replace shell/Perl (which I find ugly, but
usefull).

Initially I looked at OCaml because of its speed but I find it
unreadable..

And for me readability/maintanability (sp?) is more important than raw
speed.

For me Ruby and Python are "twins": they both compete in the same space,
that is to say a language which is both usefull to scripting and to
develop "real programs".
So comparison between both is interesting but has also a huge risk of
turning into flamewars (ugh).

I tend to prefer Ruby style over Python which I find too verbose..
But I lack pratice with both Ruby or Python (right now, I'm stuck
maintaining shell script or Perl scripts :-(), so I think that
"practical comparison" of someone who used both is really interesting.

Oh don't forget to indicate your "background", I suspect that for
example any Smalltalk user would prefer Ruby over Python due to their
prior experience..

--
Renaud Hebert
phone: (33) 01 30 77 59 92